Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Don't get comfortable...



At work today, I went to the job site with my boss.  I have only known her a couple weeks, and there were a few moments of awkward silence here and there.  I was a bit outside my comfort zone.  Then we started talking.  We talked about a few different things, when the subject of this blog came up. (I hope if she is reading this, she finds it fulfilling.)  I texted her the site so she can read it whenever.

So, after work, I was unable to get into my locked car.  I put the key in and it would not turn.  My boss tried, to no avail, it simply would not turn.  So here I am tired after a long day of work, trying to "fix" my car with my boss helping.  Finally she offers me a ride home.  On the way, she mentions she has to pick up her pre-teen daughter.  Sure, not a problem, she was offering me the ride out of the kindness of her heart.  So, riding with 2 people I hardly know, embarrassed that my car wasn't working and I don't have roadside assistance, I guess you could say that once again today, I was outside my comfort zone.

That got me thinking about Christ's prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. Not once but 3 times Jesus prays (and I am paraphrasing)  "If there is another way, let it be done that way.  This thing that is about to happen, I would rather skip it.  Not by my will, but Yours Father."  So three times Jesus prays that He would rather let the cup pass by Him.

So my question is this.  Did Jesus go a bit outside of His comfort zone for us?  Did He even have a comfort zone?

I do know that God uses us better when we are outside of our comfort zone.  If we are in a comfortable place, then we are not in the process of ongoing sanctification.  If we are comfortable, we are not experiencing the growing pains we need to experience to live and learn. When we get comfortable, we can get lazy.

Read the following verses, and let me know if God's Word does not instruct us to operate outside of our comfort zones.  Christ Himself said that it won't be easy!  I for one am looking forward to the next time that I am in an uncomfortable situation, for that means God is working!

Joshua 1:9
2 Timothy 1:7
2 Timothy 2:15
James 1:22
Mark 16:15

Is it just me, or do none of those verses say "If you feel like it and are comfortable."?

So, next time you are uncomfortable, remember to ask yourself, "How is God using this?"



No comments:

Post a Comment