Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Spiritual Workout


Do you workout? Are you pumped? I can freely admit I am not.  I don't workout, I don't exercise often, but when I do, I feel good.

The same is true of working out spiritually. James 2:14-26 gives us the consequences of poor spiritual health. It is easy to fall back on Ephesians 2:8-9, and say I am "saved" I am good. "I've got my fire insurance." This is a dangerous mindset for a Christian to have. You see Paul wanted to make sure the church at Ephesus knew you couldn't earn your salvation. Jesus tells us that many who will claim to know Him, yet by their fruits we can tell them apart. Paul goes on to say what those fruits are.
When Jesus performed miracles He often said, "Your faith has made you whole." Yet quite a few times the miracle was performed with some sort of actionon the part of the recipient of the miracle. Time and time again we see evidence in God's Word that our spiritual walk is an active thing. How can you be actively  exercising your spiritual health?

Here are a few suggestions to help you get started.

1. Volunteer at a shelter to feed and clothe the more unfortunate.
2. Offer to help a stranger load their groceries into their car.
3. When you can tell someone is having a bad day, ask to pray with them.
4. Try not to ocomplain.. At all!
5. Only make fun of the devil. (Don't mock anyone but the enemy)
6. For one week be up a television show you watch regularly. Use that time to pray instead.
7. For one day, only post spiritual applications to social media.
8. Pray before replying to someone's post on social media.
9. Get up 15 minutes before you normally do to "be still and know He is God"
10. Pray for the presidential candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment