Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Is the end near?



I have always had a bit of an issue when preachers speak that Jesus is coming soon.  You see, I was always taught that even Christ didn't know when He was returning.  (Matt. 24:36)  So, in my youth I was confused.  Soon is a relative term, so we can understand why it confused me and that message may still confuse some.

The Bible gives us some insight as to the end times.  I never cared much for the "doomsayers" that would preach that we are living in the end times.  However, as I got older, I am convinced that no matter if we are or aren't we still have a mission set forth before us, and when the General arrives, I do not want to be caught away from my post!


You see, today I came across 2 Timothy 3:1-7 and it really opened my eyes.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud,arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

I don't know about you, but to me that all sounds very familiar.  I have seen so many in our modern society that fit more than one of these.  I find myself had difficulty abstaining from some of Paul's descriptors.  (I thank God that in Christ I am a new creation!)

So is this post just reiterating what I myself have had a problem with?  No.  I can honestly say that now more than ever people are hungry for God, and the fields are ripe!  There are too few workers!  

Since 2005, there has been a steady decrease in seminary enrollment across multiple denominations. (Appox. 20%) 

So, if we are seeing more of the warning signs as dictated by God's Word, then shouldn't we see an increase in seminary enrollment?  Who is taking the place of retiring church leadership?  Who will go?

It is not as God is not calling more people.  The fact of the matter is, we may not be listening. (Or we are listening to the wrong source.)  The enemy would like nothing more than to hinder more from entering seminary and dedicating their lives to full time ministry.

Are we in the end times?  As Christ had said, nobody knows but the Father.  (He also said don't worry about tomorrow.)  So, all we can do for now is be ready if we are.  


No comments:

Post a Comment