Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Who are you working for?

Colossians 3:23

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as for working for the Lord and not for human masters."

For those who don't know, I love comic books and comic book movies.  I would say the list of my personal favorites are; Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash and the rest.  But, not all my heroes wear capes.  My personal favorite real life hero is the Apostle Paul.

I  once wrote a letter to my sister in the style of Paul's writing just to see if I could do it.  (She loved it.)  One of the things Paul had written to the church in Collosae was to live as Christians.  Chapter 3 in particular speaks of living as those made alive in Christ.

Then we get to verse 23.  I have always struggled with that verse, because I always struggled with work, and holding a job.  Perhaps due to my attitude, perhaps due to a medical condition, I always seemed to find myself employed and promptly fired.  As a result, it made it difficult for me to keep employment because I had anxiety about work. "Would this be my last day?" I would often ask myself.  If I didn't get fired, I would quit.  I would feel that if I didn't quit, I would be fired.  So, in order to save myself the embarrassment and heartache, I would self terminate.  So the God's word tells us we shouldn't fear over 50 times!  Paul also tells us (in Philippians) to "be anxious for nothing but in everything give thanks."  So why did I have a problem with work?

I said "did" past tense.  Because today I started a new part-time job.  With a new attitude.  I decided that no matter what, I wasn't working for a check, I wasn't working for a boss, I was working for THE boss.  I would work for Christ.  How much did He give up for us?  Surely working a full day and scrubbing out old appliances is not glamorous, but does it have to be?  Didn't Christ go outside His comfort zone for us?

Even if you are "retired", what are you doing with your time and money?  Are you serving to build the Kingdom?

Yeah, I admit, I was tired and hungry and cranky when I got home, but deep down I felt good because I worked for Jesus, and not me.

Who are you working for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment